Friday, July 24, 2009

Spaghetti yarn bowls

Today, after too many rainy days indoors, we decided to try the "spaghetti yarn bowl" craft from "Family Fun" magazine. Yesterday we headed to the craft store so each of the children (ages 5,4,and 2) could choose their own color yarn. We proceeded to sharpen everyone's scissor skills by cutting 60 of the 80 recommended yard long pieces of yarn. This was as far as we got before Daddy came home and it was time for dinner.

This morning, I set up the craft table with four smooth playground balls anchored in bowls and gave my mess makers bowls of glue and their piles of yarn. The two year old lasted about 4 minutes before the feel of glue on his fingers became so distressing to him that he asked Mama to finish for him. My four year old hung in there quite a bit longer, but did ask for her pieces of yarn to be cut shorter. They were a little too long for her to manipulate. (I would suggest cutting the yarn no longer than 24 inches. ) My five year old son had a blast! He loved the smooth gluey feeling on his fingers and had great fun looping the yarn on his ball. I found it very relaxing too! I'm pretty excited to see how my team effort with my two year old turns out!

Tomorrow, when the glue dries, I'll give my full review of this craft. My initial impressions are fair, but we'll have to see the end result!

Now, I wonder how long it will take me to scrub the glue off of everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment