Thursday, July 30, 2009

New mom memories

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a new mom. Her baby is 6 weeks old and they have been through breastfeeding nightmares together. Mom developed a MRSA infection in her breast, had to have surgery and still persevered in order to pump and bottle feed. Yet, Mom told me tonight that she "feels like a failure as a mother".

She said she is "so tired" and barely has time to brush her teeth, let alone sleep when the baby sleeps, as so often is the advice doled out to new parents. "I wish she could just tell me what she needs!" she sighed as the baby fussed in the background. I was immediately reminded of my days as a new mom. (I now have four kids and that blessed memory blurring of the late night feedings and zombie-like new mom state.)

New moms, let me say this to you: things will get clearer. You will be able to decipher your baby's cries . You will get sleep someday. You will wear makeup again and recognize that woman in the mirror as the savvy, classy gal that you are. In the meantime, ask for help, accept help that is offered, sleep when your husband will let you (because he needs to bond with the baby too), and remember that God is with you every moment. He has gifted you with this little crying bundle because He believed, in all His wisdom, that YOU were the best choice for your child.

Lord, let me listen with your ears to the needs of my children. Give me the grace to be the mother You desire me to be. You, Lord, are my strength. Lend me your patience. Thank you for the life you have given me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment