Monday, August 24, 2009

Public Displays of affection - Strangers and kids

Okay, I'm going to try to write this post in as kind and tactful a manner as possible. Strangers: don't touch my kids! Don't tickle their feet, don't pinch their cheeks, don't grab for my infant's hands!!!! Well-meaning-Grandmas-who-are-in-no-way-related-to-me-or-my-children - THIS MEANS YOU!

Ummm, okay, so much for kindness and tact. In all seriousness, however, this is becoming increasingly irritating on my daytime trips to the grocery store or Target. Let's face it, the people who are shopping at these institutions in the middle of the day are moms and retired folks. Now, I realize that we are supposed to act in a Christian manner toward our bothers and sisters in Christ. This is a tough act to balance while also trying to teach your children stanger safety.

I don't mean to sound like a crab, and maybe I am just having one of "those" mommy days, but I'm getting tired of the following two comments: "Are they all yours?" and "You must be busy!". Yes and yes, people. Yes, I have four adorable, well behaved children who are close in age and I know that when I take them all somewhere with me, we are quite a darling sight to behold. This is not, however, an open invitation for people to come up and touch them in some manner. Add into this scenario the very real threat that their food allergies pose and going out has become rather stressful. Imagine if grandma-we-don't-know has just finished some peanut-butter crackers and she touches my child before I can stop her. The rest of our day will be spent in the emergency room!

There are some days when I just need to get in and get out of wherever we are. I do not necessarily have time or the inclination to tell a stanger all of my children's names and ages! This simply makes me uncomfortable. I am generally a pretty friendly person. I like to be around people and I consider myself to be fairly kind and generous. I would hope that those who know me would agree. I also feel a stong need to keep my children safe from all the creeps out there. Because you can't tell a "bad apple" from the outside, I need to be a good example to my kids in regards to stranger safety.

Okay, this post is more of a rant, and I realize that it is more negative than positive, which is not my intent on this blog. I just really needed to vent about feeling like people don't respect your privacy if you have a large family. Maybe the age of reality TV has entitled people to think that if you match a profile, your business is their business. So, thanks moms for giving me space to vent today!

Lord, give me space to breathe so that I may better prepare my kids for the world at large. Help me to balance an awareness of the evil that does prowl our world, with a kindness toward others. Grant me and my family the gift of discernment to be able to see the good and evil in the world around us and the humility to respond appropriately. Thank you Lord, for my family. Please hold us in the palm of your hand. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment